Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Relaxation Techniques

Article on Relaxation Techniques--->Mayo Clinic<---
Today, I started my relaxation techniques class and I can already see that it is gong to benefit me in the future. We started class by sitting on mats on the floor without our shoes on while seated in a circle. Then we moved into a stretching exercise that was meant to lift your spine. One person sat cross-legged on the mat and raised their arms above their head and brought them together by touching their elbows. Then a partner stood behind and weaved their arms under my arms and slowly pulled my arms up to elevate my spine. After the activity, I quickly noticed the difference in how my back and core felt after I slouched down to my normal posture. My teacher said our breath was very important and when we don’t have good posture we can’t fully breathe in and out. A simple technique like this can help manage stress because you are paying attention to your body as well as allowing for steady breathing.  According to mayoclinic, “Relaxation reduces muscle tension and anxiety, increases self-control and leaves a person feeling refreshed and rejuvenated”.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the insight and technique. I look forward to a point when I have enough time to try this approach/theory. I have a small collection of books on yoga and understand that it also involves relaxation, blood flow, and breathing to maximize the oxygen flow throughout your body. Winter break these will be my reading materials and explore and understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually took this class already last spring semester. I found the class to be very interesting.I was able to learn some great ways to help you completely relax as well as a little more about the body such as sleep, nutrition and stretching which are all aspects to being capable of relaxing. One day of the week we would do yoga in the class which I did not enjoy in the beginning but towards the end of the 8 week course I began to find myself more comfortable with the poses and did find yoga to be very beneficial. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Relaxation techniques are great stress relivers and dramatically increase your focus and self control. I used to practice progressive muscle relaxation along with mental visualization. It can really be a wonderful experience. Next time you are feeling stressed out or overwhelmed try taking 3 deep breaths. I have found that just taking 3 deep breaths I am able to feel calmer and more focused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While reading this article I noticed I was slouching over and quickly felt myself correct my posture. I noticed a difference right away. I wanted to read this article because I know we are starting our relaxation techniques section in class today and I am excited about it because I am always stressed and feel as though it would be a nice break from my busy schedule to relax every once in a while. What you say in the article is true, your breathing really does make a difference. I know before class presentations I always take deep breaths inhailing through my nose and exhailing through my mouth and that always is a quick way for me to relax a little!

    ReplyDelete